I never imagined these apple and cinnamon muffins turning out as good as they have. They’re certainly proving to be an excellent decision what with all the work that I’m doing at the moment. I’m just hoping that the batch will last me to the end of the week, they are so moreish. My only previous muffin experience consists of a chocolate chip variation, another Nigella, that turned out a little less successfully. Cupcake cases too small and I over stirred the mixture making them too heavy. This time I was fully prepared with proper muffin cases and a more controlled stirring technique. The result was a light and fluffy muffin, moist due to the chunks of apple, and with an added crunch from the cinnamon, almond and sugar coating. As I have a cold I was a little overzealous with the cinnamon (just to make sure that I could taste them) but this certainly wasn’t to their detriment, they taste absolutely gorgeous.
From Nigella Kitchen
2 eating apples
250g plain flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
125g light brown sugar (plus 4 for sprinkling)
60ml runny natural yogurt (I used thick greek yoghurt and it worked out fine)
125ml vegetable oil
2 tsp baking powder
75g natural unblanched almonds
- Preheat the oven to 200C and line the muffin tin with cases.
- Peel and core the apple, then chopped into 1cm cubes. Measure the flour, baking powder and 1 tsp cinnamon into a large mixing bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together the oil, yoghurt, eggs, honey and sugar.
- Chop the almonds roughly and add half to the flour mixture. Mix the other half into a small bowl with 4tsp sugar and 1tsp cinnamon, and put to one side.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry and add the chopped apple. Stir to combine, but don’t other mix, you’re aiming for a lumpy batter.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin papers and sprinkle the almond, sugar and cinnamon mixture on top. Bake for 20 minutes until they have risen and are golden.
- Let the muffins cool in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack.
Culinary Know How: FRESHER
Budget: UNDER £3
Kitchen Requirements: MUFFIN TIN, MUFFIN CASES, TWO MIXING BOWLS, WHISK.