An unusual take on the traditional Sunday roast, this simple to make and delicious to eat recipe provides perfectly cooked chicken permeated with a lovely curry flavour, and a spicy yoghurt crust to boot. The chunks of potato left to cook under the chicken with slices of lemon pick up a citrusy flavour that offsets the curry chicken nicely. Served with simply steamed greens and a large glass of wine, and you’ve got the perfect excuse to get your friends round and celebrate the weekend.
Serves around 4
3 cloves garlic
4 tbsp natural youghurt
2 tsp turmeric
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp chilli powder
750g potatoes (or enough to serve you and your friends)
1 tsp vegetable oil
1 whole chicken
fresh coriander (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 190C. Peel and grate the garlic into a bowl, and add the yoghurt, spices and chilli powder.
- Slice the unpeeled potatoes fairly thinly and place in a large deep pan with the oil. Slice half the lemon and scatter amongst the potatoes, and season.
- Smear the yoghurt mixture all over the chicken, stuff some of it under the skin too so that the flavours permeate the chicken further, and put the other half of the lemon in the cavity of the chicken.
- Cook covered in the oven for 1 hour. Then remove the lid and cook for another 30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Carve, and serve the potatoes sprinkled with the fresh coriander.
Culinary Know How: FRESHER
Budget: UNDER £10
Kitchen Requirements: ONE LARGE DEEP PAN WITH A LID, ONE BOWL.