Saturday 12 March 2011

The Ultimate Chocolate Cake


Yesterday was Ben’s Birthday and I decided to mark the occasion with the most calorific cake I have ever known. This is definitely the cake that Bruce Bogtrotter was forced to eat by the evil Miss Trunchbull in ‘Matilda’, crammed full of sugar and dark chocolate, and smothered with yet more melted chocolate, it certainly won’t appeal to anyone watching their waistline. I’ve only managed a sliver so far, but I can assure you that it is very good, rich yes, but the texture is surprisingly light, considering what’s been packed in to it. Most importantly the Birthday Boy was impressed, as were his friends.


I followed this BBC Good Food recipe, pretty much to the letter, except I substituted half the dark chocolate that was going into the ganache with milk chocolate (I’m not all that keen on the bitterness of dark chocolate) and halved the cake mixture into two cake tins to make a sandwich, rather then risk cutting it into three. I also checked on the cakes after they had been in the oven for 1 hour, and they were already cooked (although this may just be my oven). Happy 25th Birthday Baby!!


Culinary Know How: FRESHER
Budget: UNDER £10
Kitchen Requirements: TWO CAKE TINS, COOLING RACK, LARGE MIXING BOWL, SMALL MIXING BOWL, SAUCEPAN.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...