Thursday 24 March 2011

Buttercream for Cupcakes


I adore making and eating cupcakes. They’re so quick and easy to make, and its even quicker to devour them. One of the best things about them is that there are so many variations, and when they come out of the oven you’re left with a blank canvas, ready to be decorated with a multitude of edible glitters and sprinkles. I’ve tried ‘making’ icing in the past (basically icing sugar and water), but have always been left with a translucent mess of a cupcake. This time I was a bit more daring and decided to try my hand at a simple buttercream. It really was simple, and made the decorating a whole lot more fun. I invested in a piping bag and nozzle when I attempted macaroons, and was able to use it in this instance too. I’m by no means an expert but I am really quite pleased with how some of them have turned out. And as for the rest, I simply flattened them out with a knife so nobody was any the wiser as to how inept I am with a piping bag!!


 Makes enough Buttercream for 12 cupcakes
150g butter, softened
375g icing sugar
seeds of half a vanilla pod
food colouring (optional)
  1. Put all the ingredients, except the food colouring, into a large mixing bowl and beat well until the mixture becomes light and fluffy (this will take a fair bit of perseverance).
  2. Separate the mixture into other bowls if you wish to add a few drops of food colouring to make coloured icing (I used red and blue).
  3. When the cupcakes are cool, ice with the buttercream. Either create a spiral effect using a piping bag, or put a blob of the buttercream on to each cake and flatten out with a knife.

Culinary Know How: FRESHER
Budget: UNDER £2
Kitchen Requirements: LARGE MIXING BOWL.


PS. Spring has officially arrived in England (just look at the view from my window), I hope you're all enjoying the sunshine. On that note, I'm off to the beach!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...