Wednesday 1 June 2011

My Grandmothers Red Currant and Raspberry Mousse


Whenever I visit my grandmother I always hope that she will serve this deliciously sweet mousse dessert. On this occasion I not only got it for pudding but I got the recipe too. Out came the most wonderful collection of newspaper cuttings, with recipes ranging from the 1950’s onwards. An absolute culinary treasure-trove as I’m sure you will agree. This dessert is wonderfully simple to make, consisting of three ingredients, and can be served hot in tall glasses with cream and a biscuit for the ultimate wow factor. My pink glasses don’t quite show you the wonderfully pink colour from the red berry and raspberry juices, but I can assure you it is the stuff of Barbie’s dreams.

Serves 4
250g each red currants and raspberries
110g sugar
2 egg whites
  1. Heat the fruit in a small saucepan and stir to release all of the juice. Sieve the juice into a larger saucepan. Meanwhile, whip the egg whites with an electric whisk, or hand whisk if you are feeling energetic until they are stiff and add this, along with the sugar, to the saucepan with the fruit juice.
  2. On a low heat, continuously whisk the mixture for three minutes. You should be left with a mousse like consistency and a richly pink colour.
  3. Spoon in to tall glasses and serve immediately with cream.

Culinary Know How: FRESHER
Budget: UNDER £2
Kitchen Requirements: SIEVE, ELECTRIC OR HAND WHISK, SMALL SAUCEPAN, LARGE SAUCEPAN, TALL GLASSES. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...