Saturday 25 June 2011

Lemon Meringue Fool


The lengthy absence from my blogging is entirely honorable. I have both finished the second year of university and moved out of my flat, no mean feat considering its two flights up and included the transportation of a sizeable amount of kitchen goods and implements. Couple that with me going on holiday to Turkey on Monday and trying desperately not to eat carbohydrates and you haven’t exactly got the recipe for a perfect food blog post.

However, I decided to throw caution to the wind this weekend and venture back in to Nigella Kitchen that, as I’m sure you know, can be trusted to provide the most fattening recipes on the planet. I’m glad to say this Lemon Meringue Fool did not disappoint on calorie content. I’ve made this sumptuous desert once before, as part of an anniversary three course dinner I made for my parents in January. Back then in the New Year I was a complete novice in the kitchen and this recipe suited perfectly, being very simple to assemble ahead and leave in the fridge whilst you get on with the rest of the meal.


Serves 2 - 4
150g lemon curd
2 tsp lemon juice (or Limoncello)
250ml double cream
lemon zest, to serve
1 meringue nest
  1. Put the lemon curd and the lemon juice into a small bowl and stir. Add a little more juice if the mixture seems too thick, you want it to be able to fold it into whipped cream.
  2. Whisk the double cream in another bowl until it just starts to thicken. Pour half the lemon mixture into the cream and fold using a rubber spatula, and then do the same with the other half.
  3. Crumble the meringue into the cream and lemon mixture and fold.
  4. Spoon the mixture into 4 smaller glasses or 2 larger glasses, depending on how greedy you are, and serve with a drizzle of the lemon mixture scraped from the bottom of the bowl and a few spirals of lemon zest.
  5. You can serve immediately, or cover with clingfilm and leave in the fridge for up to 3 hours.
Culinary Know How: FRESHER
Budget: £2
Kitchen Requirements: WHISK, TWO BOWLS, GOBLETS/GLASSES, RUBBER SPATULA.

3 comments:

  1. This looks so refreshing and delicious...can't wait til my holiday is over and I can be back in the kitchen myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on completing your second year.
    The lemon meringue fool looks so delicious.
    p.s. You asked about my camera. I usually use a Nikon D80. They've been replaced by the Nikon D90 now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my friends licked their elbows when I served these... I love your writing style, so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...