Thursday 1 September 2011

Kedgeree



Aren’t food memories the best? I think probably most of my memories revolve in some way around food. Whether it be ‘Cosy Tea’ when I got home from school, eating turkey dinosaurs after Nursery, that duck we ate for my big 18th Birthday dinner, or that first takeaway pizza on day one at University. This Kedgeree is no different, for it really reminds me of Mum and when she’s being extra lovely and treating me to one of my favourite suppers. Billed as a breakfast (and it does taste amazing the next day heated up) we always seem to have kedgeree as an early supper before an evening out, on this occasion to the theatre.


Kind of like a biryani I suppose, Kedgeree is an Indian dish brought back to England by the Victorians and enjoyed as a hearty breakfast ever since. Consisting of flaked white fish, onion, rice, peas, boiled egg, lemon juice, curry powder and turmeric, which gives it its slightly radioactive yellow colour, it really is very simple make. More importantly, it tastes amazing too, the tang of the lemon and punch of the curry powder complimenting rather then over powering the more delicate flavour of the fish. I always have seconds and I’m sure you will too!!


Adapted from The Breakfast Book
240g smoked haddock, cooked and flaked
240g cooked rice
2 small onions, finely chopped
2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp curry powder
Juice of 1 lemon
120g butter
2 hardboiled eggs
2 tbsp peas
  1. Soften the onions in half the butter in a large casserole dish. Add the turmeric, curry powder and lemon juice.
  2. Fry gently for a couple of minutes before adding fish, rice and rest of the butter.
  3. Hard-boil the eggs. Keep the fish and rice mixture over a low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes. Heat the peas for a few moments.
  4. Chop the hard-boil eggs and mix lightly, along with the peas, to the dish. Season and serve.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutly mezmerizing! I realy wanna eat that now. your photos are just too tempting.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...