Thursday 27 January 2011

Marmite Spaghetti



I approached this recipe with a little trepidation. Don’t get me wrong, I adore Marmite and have it everyday on toast, but I just couldn’t quite see how this could work. How wrong could I be? I really owe Nigella for introducing this to me, it’s a complete revelation, and I urge you all to try it. The buttery marmite sauce has just the right bitterness to it, and although I was overly zealous with the teaspoon of Marmite it wasn’t overpowering. I used less pasta then in the original recipe but kept the Marmite and butter amounts the same and my only wish is that I had made more of both so I could have indulged in seconds. It’s just so simple, and I plan on making this weird and wonderful concoction a lazy lunchtime staple.


Serves 1-4 (depending on how much you love Marmite)
Spaghetti
50g unsalted butter
1 tsp Marmite
  1. Cook the spaghetti according to the packet instructions.
  2. When the pasta is almost cooked, melt the butter in a saucepan and add the marmite and one tbsp of the pasta water. Mix it all together.
  3. Drain the pasta (Nigella says to reserve half a cup of the pasta water to add to sauce to amalgamate, I remembered this after I’d drained the water, but it didn’t seem to matter, I liked the gloopy nature of the sauce), and stir in the sauce.
  4. Serve with cheese, Nigella suggests Parmesan, I used cheddar.
Culinary Know How: FRESHER
Budget: UNDER £2
Kitchen Requirements: 2 SAUCEPANS

1 comment:

  1. Spaghetti with Marmite is a true revelation and it's so addictive! I can't get enough of it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...